The origin of the mill is understood by the presence of water in Pals, an old shallow bay, where floods from the overflow of the rivers Ter and Daró and storms from the sea were very common. Farmers, landowners and locals were constantly fighting to control floods and water levels. This gave rise to an irrigation system dating back to medieval times. In 1321, the trustees of Pals made deals with the king (Joan II king of Aragon) to demolish a mill, embankments and locks that were causing floods. They also made deals to dry the ponds to cultivate the land.
2. THE MILL IRRIGATION CANAL
In 1452 the mayor granted a license to Miquel Pere, the prothonotary of Ferran the Catholic, who already had a wheat mill, to build a rice mill and make a canal from the river Ter to the mill and another from the mill to the sea, reinforce with stones, sticks or reeds its exit to the sea, so that the sand didn’t cover its course and the boats could enter and leave without difficulties.
The irrigation of the mill has a length of 12 km with a width of 12 meters and a flow of approximately 3.5 cubic meters per second. The irrigation system originates in the Canet lock and passes through the municipalities of Serra de Daró, Gualta, Fontanilles and Pals. The Molí irrigation canal was declared a cultural asset of local interest in 2005. Irrigation and water pipes form a complicated irrigation network. The Daró Vell, from the lock-gate of Mas Carles, is transformed into multiple arms and the three main ones are: the Molí de Pals irrigation canal, the riera Nova (a stream which comes from the lands of Peratallada) and the Restallador.